Australian police have called on a gunman to surrender peacefully and put down his weapons after four days on the run. The man, accused of killing two police officers, has been hiding in thick bushland since Tuesday.
The suspect, 56-year-old Dezi Freeman, is said to be heavily armed. Police believe he has strong survival skills and knows the forest area very well, making it difficult to capture him.
The tragedy began on Tuesday morning when a team of 10 officers went to Freeman’s home in Porepunkah, a quiet rural town in northeast Victoria. They were carrying out a search warrant, though police have not revealed the exact reason for the search. Some of the officers belonged to the sexual offences and child investigation squad, which suggests the search may have been related to serious allegations.
When officers arrived, Freeman opened fire. The sudden and violent attack left two policemen dead:
- Detective Neal Thompson, 59 years old.
- Senior Constable Vadim De Waart, only 35 years old.

Another officer was badly injured after being shot in the lower body. Doctors say he has already undergone one surgery and is preparing for a second, but they are hopeful that he will recover.
Police Chief Commissioner Mike Bush told reporters that finding Freeman is the top priority. He warned that Freeman is still armed, extremely dangerous, and could hurt more people if not caught soon.
Over 450 police officers have been deployed to track him down. Helicopters, drones, and ground search teams have been used to comb the rugged bushland, but Freeman has so far managed to avoid capture.
Authorities believe Freeman may hold extreme anti-government views. According to Australian media, he is linked to the so-called “sovereign citizen” movement. People in this movement believe that normal laws do not apply to them and often refuse to cooperate with authorities.
As part of the investigation, police searched another property connected to Freeman. On Thursday night, they arrested his 42-year-old partner and 15-year-old son. However, after being questioned, both were released without charge. Police have also reminded the public that helping Freeman hide is a serious crime.
Commissioner Bush issued a direct message to Freeman:“If you are listening, it’s time to stop. Lay down your guns and give yourself up so this can end safely for everyone.”
This shooting has shocked many Australians, since fatal attacks on police officers are very rare in the country. Australia already has some of the strictest gun laws in the world. After the 1996 Port Arthur massacre in Tasmania, where a gunman killed 35 people, the government banned most automatic and semi-automatic weapons. Since then, large-scale shootings have been uncommon, and police deaths by gunfire even rarer.
The loss of Detectives Thompson and De Waart has deeply affected both the police force and the community, reminding Australians of the dangers officers face every day while serving and protecting the public.